Committed to the Principle of Sustainable Tourism
Traquair House is committed to the principle of sustainable tourism and to achieving the best green friendly practices are adopted within Traquair House and its grounds.
Traquair is committed to the following:
- Conserving natural resources through careful planning and efficient use of resources.
- Minimise waste through source reduction and recycling.
- Improve efficiency of energy use and explore alternative sources of energy.
- Train and encourage employees to promote and carry out their activities in an environmentally sensitive manner.
- Increase biodiversity of the grounds and woodlands around Traquair.
- Continued use of local produce and fair trade products
- Improving the visitor experience and communicating our commitment to green practices.
Traquair House Responsible Visitor Charter
Traquair is committed to safeguarding the historic building at Traquair and its environment as well as promoting its understanding and enjoyment by all. We are also committed to caring for our environment, tackling sustainability and minimising the impact of our day to day work on the natural environment. Our staff are all fully committed to fulfilling these aims and we would ask that our visitors also help us in this process. Here are a few steps that you can take to help us when you visit Traquair.
- Please respect that Traquair is an ancient monument and its fabric is fragile so behave appropriately both inside and outside the building.
- There are many wonderful woodlands and grounds to explore at Traquair which we hope you will enjoy without disturbing the wildlife, keeping to the designated footpaths and following instructions on our signage.
- Whilst we welcome dogs on leads please remember to clean up after them.
- If you are in the area we would encourage you to use local shops and businesses and try some of the great variety of local produce available.
- Please help keep the grounds tidy by not dropping litter and making use of our public recycling point at the car park.
- Where possible please consider using public transport in the local area. Although we recognise this is not always possible there are fantastic bike rides and walks in the local area which we hope you will take full advantage of during your stay.
For a list of local accommodation and information please visit our website www.visittweedvalley.co.uk and look for Green Tourism Business Scheme recommended accommodation where possible.