Traquair derives its name from this small tributary of the River Tweed. ” tra” means homestead or dwelling place by the Quair.
The source of the Quair water lies in the hills above Glen estate and winds it way nearly six and a half miles down the hill being fed by Fingland and Curly burns on the way before joining the River Tweed about 400 metres from the back of the house.
On its final course to the river it passes through ancient woodland, the old laundry house and then runs a little deeper to an area known as “the ladies bathing pool” where perhaps the ladies of the house took a dip in the past and occasionally still do today.
It is easy to understand why the original tower was built near to the meeting of the two waterways protected on both sides and with a fresh water supply nearby. However, by the late 1600’s it was thought that the River Tweed could be damaging the foundations of the house so the course of the river was diverted to a few hundred metres further away.
In recent years climate change has meant flooding has become a fairly regular occurrence with the Quair bursting its banks at least once a year so the foresight of the ancestors in altering the course of the main river was undoubtedly a good idea.